Thursday, August 13, 2009

Fatalistic Monkeys


It seems patently unfair to monkeys, but often we speak of a very large group of primates with many typewriters. Each punching away at the keyboard until one of these television-level scriptwriters lucks up and types the entire text of “Pride and Prejudice”, word for word, simply by chance. The same premise holds true for any statistical set of large numbers and possibilities. Well, the same could be true for all of space and time. This was the premise behind a play I recently saw called “Rabbit Hole”.

Here we go. If all of space and time is eternal then it must be certain that there are entire galaxies out there exactly like ours, containing inhabitants exactly like us. It’s just the law of probability. Time Travel could be as simple as space travel to another place that was exactly evolved to the time we wish to travel. There are some complicated relativity issues about exactness that I can’t wrap my head around at this very moment.

No, I have not been smoking anything. I am blogging -- a primate with a typewriter. Thanks for reading this…I promise to get better at it.


© Brian Webber 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment